Friday, June 6, 2008

OPOTIKI CONTINUED.

I spent a few days exploring the town of Opotiki, They have a lovely museum where they have restored the original hardware store.
And they were very excited because they said a lovely lady from Lonely planet guides had told them that the museum would feature in their next edition as a must see place for backpackers. I have to agree it is well worth a visit.
I also went driving along the coastline again. The colours in the skyline are breathtakingly beautiful and so relaxing to view.
I guess you are gathering that I love this place!


For a very small town there are lots of events going on, exhibitions and fundraisers. One day the crowds were out because a famous netball star was visiting. Netball is a massive sport over here and it is actually on the television. Shame the sports bods in England do not see it like that.It is hardly ever on the telly in good old Blighty!! It was not all play and no work though. I did do my bit to earn my keep with the girls. One day I went with Lyn to her father's farm to help them chop up some trees that had blown down and pile the wood into the truck.(Some of it was very heavy!!)
I also stood up on the back of the truck as they drove it over the farm. That was great fun, if a bit scarey at times on the steep bits!
Lyn's father was great fun.





Then it was time for a well deserved rest so I spent some time sitting outside with a book and a cup of tea enjoying the view over their garden.

No comments: