Sunday, March 2, 2008

HO CHI MINH (LAST VIETNAM ENTRY)

I went to Ho chi Minh city and met up with a lovely couple, Katarina and Paul, whom I had met At Mui Ne.




They were both working in Vietnam but living in a hotel until they found an apartment. They kindly booked a room for me at their hotel, so I did not have the pressure of finding a place to stay in the city.But the taxi driver that picked me up from the bus, took me all over the place(even though it transpired that the hotel was round the corner from where the bus dropped me off)He then charged me 4 times the price they said I should have paid. It made me so angry.

But saying that I did enjoy my time in Ho Chi Minh, maybe it was because they showed me around and it was nice to hang out with them.I went to Notre Dame Cathedral(having gone to Notre Dame Grammar school in Leeds it seemed rude not to check this one out)It was beautiful.I also went to the revolutionary building.It has remained the same since the reunification of the country when the north Vietnamese flew in and stormed the building with helicopters.I also went to the war museum and the Cu Chi tunnels.It was very difficult to view some of the images of the Vietnam war.The way both the Americans and the Vietnamese treated each other beggers belief.I found the politics of why the war happened mind boggling as well.All that bloodshed and for what???
The Cu Chi tunnels went on for miles underground on three layers.The entrances were very difficult to detect under the leaves .

They housed hospitals,schools ,kitchens etc and families lived down there undetected by American soldiers for years.They had very ingenious ways of getting rid of the smoke produced from cooking.


They were able to carry out surprise attacks on the Americans without being detected for a long time.

The next day I changed the mood and went to the fine arts museum, which was very relaxing to wander around.The building that housed the artwork was very beautiful as well.It reminded me of places I had visited in Italy.



Then time for one last cocktail before I leave Vietnam..and you can see how HAPPY I AM TO BE GOING !!

No comments: