Monday, February 25, 2008

HOI AN AND NA TRANG (CATCH UP BLOGS)

STILL PLAYING CATCHUP WITH MY VIETMAN BLOGS SO DO NOT GET CONFUSED WITH THE AUSTRALIAN ONES. I HAVE ANOTHER COUPLE TO DO ON VIETNAM.

From Hue I got the bust to Hoi An where I stayed for a couple of nights. It is beautiful But again I was ripped off when I went for a boat trip! which made me very angry.


Everything was so busy because it is the run up to Tete, their new year. But I have to say it is a beautiful place to visit. The old town in particular. And the market area.
I was lucky to meet up with a nice couple from East Germany.
We found cheapp guesthouses together by trudging around the streets. We then met up for a meal together.
On the Vietnamese new years eve, I managed to get a bus to take me further south to Na Trang. But I had to pay three times as much as usual because of the new year period. The journey took 12 hours. The scenery from the bus was beautiful. But the bus driver was mad, he just kept honking his horn as long and as loud as he could warning all the other vehicles on the road they had to scatter to avoid being hit by him. We even stopped for ages to tow another old bus that had broken down!!When I arrived in Na Trang I was shattered.The streets were packed with everyone heading for the new Years Eve celebrations.I have to say I had a melt down, I was so tired and disenchanted with this country.I headed to my room in tears feeling sorry for myself.


Half an hour later the receptionist called my room and asked me if I would do her the honour of eating with her, as she had to work new year.She said she would love to have someone to have a meal with. It was just what I needed to restore my faith in human nature.The north Vietnamese had been so unfriendly.We had a lovely meal of noodles and the special Vietnamese new year cake and tea. I then watched the firework display and I went to bed feeling a lot happier about life.


Over the next few days I just unwound by the beautiful sea and watched the crowds of locals who had come down from the mountain villages to enjoy the seaside resort over the new year holidays.

No comments: