Sunday, December 30, 2007

KO TAO ISLAND


I got the ferry to Ko Tao. It was a very old looking thing, it is amazing how we are all just herded onto the ferrys and we take it for granted they are safe. But when I saw this one pull into dock to collect us , I did have my doubts that it was seaworthy. It seems to have been in a few scrapes with other ships or rocks a few times.
Anyway I arrived in ko Tao in the searing heat. It was hard work getting through all the taxi drivers and room touts with my rucksac. Finally found the place where the girls had reserved a room.But the previous guest in the room was staying an extra night, so there was no room in the inn. I thought my blood would boil in the heat. They showed me a room and said I could stay in it for two pounds, but it was horrendous and I declined and found another place to stay next door.This had a fan and cold shower for eight pounds, a bargain!. And I could move the next day to the same placeas the Irish girls are stying'Save Bungalows". The room would be five pounds for fan and cold shower, another bargain!

The island is famous as a diving and snorkelling mecca around the coral reefs. so there are lots of very fit looking fellas wandering around, which is always nice!
I am afraid I will stick to the snorkelling, I know I would panick if I went diving. so there is no point shelling out money for the course.
I met up with Lisa, Maive and Joanne and we went to a bar for a few drinks and something to eat.
The next day wandered around the island and searched the second hand book shops for a book recommended by Carmel,Letters from Cambodia, but could not find it.Will have a look when I get to Cambodia.
There is a lot of building work going on on the island.They are creating little boutique type shops and posh hotles.but I feel they are ruining the things that make people want to explore these Islands. It is just getting very touristy. The postcards have pictures of lovely long deserted beaches ,but they no longer exist. They are being built upon at a horrendous rate. I am glad I visited, but I would not come back.

Later in the day I met up with the Girls from Ireland again and had something to eat then we went to see the Thai boxing.


I have to say , I was in two minds about going. I do not like violence. But it is such a big sporting occasion over here. I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about. And I thought it would be fun going with a few of us.



Well it was good fun in a strange way. There were seven fights throughout the night. And it seemed to me that they just kicked the crap out of each other wearing boxing gloves. The crowds were baying for blood. I have never seen anything like it. There were even little children there watching the violence. I can now say I have seen Thai boxing and had a good night,but I will not be going to any more fights.
I am getting the ferry to Chumphon this afternoon, on mainland Thailand. Then I get an air conditioned bus so Bangkok. It arrives at one in the morning so I will get a taxi to the airport and wait around until my flight to Phnom Phenh at seven in the morning.I am very excited about exploring Cambodia.

No comments: