Friday, January 4, 2008

NEW YEAR ON THE BUS TO BANGKOK

I got the ferry from Ko Toa to Chumpon on the mainland of Thailand. The crossing was very rough! a lot of people were seasick. I opted for getting soaked on deck but not being sick. I was drenched but it was good fun as well. At Chumpon the beaches were fantastic, there waw hardly any development. Just the kind of place I had been looking for on the islands. I suspect it will not be too long before they decide to overdevelope it and bring in busloads of tourists to change its character and charm.
We were herded onto a double decker airconditioned de-lux bus to Bangkok. The journey was due to take around eight hours.
I was sat behind a very portly gentleman and his equally portly friend. They moaned all the way and before the film was aired they proceeded to say how much they did not like the film. They then discussed the storyline and the twist at the end. Pretty much ruining it for most people.
They then both pushed their seats as far down in the recline position as they could and coughed and spluttered for the rest of the journey. With the odd burst of loud snoring thrown in for good measure.
At the same time the lady next to me kept falling asleep on my shoulder.
So you can imagine any thoughts of celebrating new year when the clock hit midnight went out the window. But I did enjoy being at the top of the bus and looking out the window at all the villages as we went by. And I did manage to doze off at times.
We stopped at a service station after about four hours and the two guys in front of me filled their faces with massive portions of curry then got back on the bus.
And they then added beltching to their repetoir!!
Lizzie Drippin sent me a text message from Australia as she saw in the new year with Keith and Carmie mustard. And I have to say that really cheered me up and I did actually look forward to midnight. A few other people who had worked out the time difference sent me messages.So despite everything I did have a happy new year!!
And I do feel so happy travelling and meeting interesting people. It is great not worrying about getting old at work and being bullied and marginalised. The people I meet take me at face value and they engage in friendly conversation. My self esteem and confidence is gradully coming back.
When we got to Bangkok at one o clock in the morning it was all lit up and the streets were full of people who had been celebrating the new year at a massive fireworks display. It was great to see.
I got a taxi to the airport and waited around for five hours before getting the plane to Phnom Penh in, Cambodia.

No comments: