Friday, December 28, 2007

KO PHANGAN ISLAND


I took the ferry from Ko Samui to a beautiful island of Ko phangan . I shared the bus to the resort with a young couple from Aukland and they gave me their details and told me to look them up when I am in New Zealand and they gave me lots of ideas of places to go. That is one of the reasons I am enjoying this travelling, the generosity of people around you. But the flip side of the coin, there are those who want to rip you off ,so I have to be on my guard as well. The roads on this island are so scary , they are just steep hills up and down and there are big pot holes, so it was a scary bus ride. Eventually we arrived at our rooms..they overlooked the estuary of a river and the sea. They put me in a de-lux bungalow set up on the hill side. I loved it. I had to walk through some woodland along little dirt tracks to get to the main road.




I got lost.But then a man on a motorbike came and gestured for me to hop on, he did not speak any English. And I just got on and he took me to the main road, which was so kind of him. I would never have found my way!
Then I got a longboat to bottleneck beach which is beautiful. You can only get there by boat so it is not too full. I spent a few hours there. I then got a motorbike and headed for coconut beach which I had heard so much about. Well the steep roads where difficult to negotiate, and then they became dirt tracks. I have to say my heart was in my mouth and I just held onto the brakes and slid down on the bike. I thought I would figure out how to get back up later. The beach was worth it. There were hardly any people and the bungalows were set back. I chilled under a coconut tree for a few hours reading my book. Then I looked up and saw the big coconuts looming down. And I remembered that Sammie had told me that a large number of people die each year from being hit on the head from coconuts falling from the trees. I thought it will not happen to me and tried to get back into my book. But I just kept looking up and thinking"what are the chances?" and I decided with the way my luck goes at times it would be better if I moved along.
When I got back on the motorbike I decided to just go for it! and I managed to scrabble up the steep hill , slipping and sliding all over the place. But I was thrilled when I got to the top alive and in one piece!
I then went exploring on the bike.



I saw where the poor elephants are kept for the trekking and it made me realise that I did not want to ride the elephants there because there were so cooped up. I have got details of a place in Chang Mai in norther Thailand where they look after the elephants and you can help to wash them and care for them, so I am going to check that out when I go up there.
I then went and visited a waterfall. which was very atmospheric with the sound of the sicardas and crickets, it was so deafening. But I could have sat there for hours soaking up the atmosphere it was quite hypnotic. Getting back into my resort on the motorbike was frightening.It is the steepest hill I have seen and I had my heart in my mouth again until I got to the bottom. I thought it was just not worth it all the stress with the bike and I gave it back in. The next day I have to say I enjoyed walking around and exploring . I went to a great bar at the top of the hill overlooking the bay. The view was breathtaking.
Today I am getting the ferry to Ko Tao and staying there a couple of nights. I am meeting up with the girls from Ireland who I spent Christmas day with. They have got me a room where they are staying. So I am looking forward to a good night out tonight.
My visa runs out soon. so I will be getting the ferry to mainland Thailand ,then bus to Bangkok and then I have a flight on the 1st to Cambodia.I am going to visit Phnom Phenh and Ankor Wat. so really looking forward to a change of country. But then I will head back to Chang Mai in northern Thailand.

2 comments:

Carmel said...

Hi Siobhan... Well done for avoiding the coconuts!

If you can get hold of any John Pilger books or essays on Cambodia before you get there -- particularly the Cambodia chapter in 'Heroes' -- it will give you some useful context... He's documented the history of Cambodia so well in his films too, not sure if you'd get chance to see those over there. Maybe when you're here in Oz we can rent one.

Have a great New Year!
cx

Liz and Keith ......on the beach said...

Or you could just watch The Killing Fields......

Happy New Year!