Wednesday, April 2, 2008

BLUE MOUNTAINS

We got the early morning train to the Blue Mountains. I loved them when I visited there a few weeks ago, so I was hoping Sammie would feel the same. Well she did. It is hard not to be impressed by the panoramic views that face you when you reach Echo point.

We had our photo taken overlooking the three sisters. But knowing that Sammie does not "do bugs" as she keeps telling me, we decided to do a slightly shorter walk through the trees to the waterfall and the world's steepest railway!!! I had managed to avoid using this the last time, but I had promised that I would go on it with Sammie. I really need to watch what I am promising!!

We had a great walk to the waterfalls and Sammie even got close enough to some of the bugs to take photograhs, so she was feeling very brave. I on the otherhand was not quite so brave as we waited for the railway carriage to take us up to the top. But I did manage a smile before we set off.

I have to say I lost the plot halfway up! I panicked and said to Sammie "oh god I have to get off , this is too much, I need to get off now" She just laughed like mad and said " just how are you going to get off.Just hang on, you will be ok", I clung to the wire netting that was surrounding the seats and wedged my feet and knees until we reached the top. I can honestly say I would never do it again, but I am glad that I survived the world's steepest railway.


We then took a cable car across the gorge and I was not afraid so I suppose that is a bonus. When I go skiiing I am usually petrified of using the cable cars.

When we got back to the YHA I was ready for a well earned rest. And much to Sammie's amusement we got allocated the top bunks.
I have been fortunate so far not to have a top bunk. She just kept laughing at me evertime I got on and off it. I have to say I am not very agile when it comes to using top bunks!!but it was very comfortable.

No comments: