Wednesday, March 26, 2008

FINAL BUS TO MELBOURNE

I spent a lovely day in Merimbula walking around a boardwalk along the edge of the lake. I saw some lovely wildlife, and reflected on just how much I am enjoying my trip.



But I was also counting the days until I saw Sammie. I had to get the overnight bus to Melbourne at midnight so I passed the time at the hostel with some of the other travellers, before venturing out for the bus.



I stood in the dark on a street corner with my rucksack for an hour waiting for the coach. I began to wonder if I was waiting at the right spot, when the bus eventually came into sight at one O clock in the morning. I did not get much sleep, and we eventually arrived at the bus station in Melbourne at eight o clock in the morning.

Heather and Rob ,who I met in Thailand in December, came to collect me. We went for a ferry crossing and fantastic drive along the ocean road. It was great to see them again.

The next day we drove to Sovereigh hill at Ballarat.
Gold was discovered there over a hundred years ago, and settlers came from all over the world to prospect for gold. I did a bit of prospecting for gold but did not find anything!!.

We also saw the history of the settlers and the trades in a reconstruction of their town.


I even went down an old mine shaft to see what their working conditions were like as they mined for gold. We had a great day.

No comments: