Thursday, July 10, 2008

LEAVING THE SOUTH ISLAND

I took the bus from Lake Takepo to Christchurch, where I stayed a night in the lovely YHA opposite the arts centre and old university. I decided to treat myself and go for a lovely meal because I have been self-catering for a long time in the hostels to economise. I had read about the restaurant called Cooking N'Gas in the Lonely planet guide and it was only a short distance from the hostel.
I have to say it really did live up to my expectations.The food was delicious and the service was really good,and thankfully it was not too expensive.
I had chosen to fly from New Zealand's South Island back to the North Island because I had managed to find a flight for as little as twenty three pounds from Christchurch to Wellington. I checked in for my flight about five hours early then walked to the Antarctic Exhibition Centre near the airport in Christchurch.
(ME ON A SNOW MOBILE JUST BEFORE EXPERIENCING A SNOW STORM)
(VEHICLES USED IN THE ANTARCTIC)
It is a fascinating place there are exhibits and information about all the Edmond Hilary expeditions and the history of the Antarctic.You can also experience a snow storm at first hand.You have to don a heavy duty jacket and some rubber overshoes, then you are all shown into a snow covered room. A loud speaker gives you a commentary which gets more frantic , warning of an impending snow storm. Then the wind speed increases to over twenty eight miles an hour and the temperature drops.It is a bit scary and very exciting! I can actually say that I survived a snow storm!!Even if it was in very controlled conditions..hee hee.
(AN EXHIBIT DEPICTING A CAMP AT THE ANTARCTIC)
(UNITED STATES HQ FOR ANTARCTIC FLIGHTS FROM CHRISTCHURCH)
Initially I was in two minds about going to the Antarctic centre but I am glad that I made the effort to go to the exhibition because I learnt so much about the Antarctic that I did not have a clue about and I found it very interesting.
Eventually I got my flight to Wellington and then met up with Stephanie and Jason again that evening. They had got the boat over with their campervan. It had been a VERY ROUGH crossing and they were still feeling a bit wobbly.
The next day they gave me a lift to Napier in the Campervan. It took us about five hours and we stopped along the way for lunch by the roadside.
(STEPH AND JASON ON OUR LUNCH BREAK ENROUTE FROM WELLINGTON TO NAPIER)
We passed the largest windfarm in New Zealand onroute. Napier is a port city in Hawkes Bay, it has a population of 57 thousand and one of its interesting facts is that it has the largest crossbred wool centre in the southern hemisphere(WOW I hear you cry!!) Napier was levelled by an earth quake in 1931 and subsequent fires killed over two hundred and fifty people. The town was rebuilt in the Art Deco style of the time and many of the buildings still stand today. I loved wandering around the streets spotting the Art Deco houses.
Jason and Steph and I went out for a meal, then they went to find their campsite.
(CAR IN THE RESTAURANT IN NAPIER)
I booked into the YHA which is just over the road from the sea. I could hear the sound of waves crashing onto the beach and it was so nice.
The next day I went knicker shopping then met up with Steph and Jason for a coffee. I love the way they put the pattern of the silver fern(The symbol of New Zealand ) on top of the coffee.

Then Jason and Steph headed off for Taupo and I stayed another day and night in Napier. I went for a very long walk along the beach around sunset and it was very relaxing.
That night in the YAH there were three more girls in my dorm ( I tend to stay in dorms for four females.) They said that they needed to be up early, so to be considerate I got into my pyjamas early and placed my tooth brush and face creams so that I could sneak in and get them in the dark without disturbing them. (That is what most people do to be considerate to the other people in the room). Well you can imagine how angry I was in the morning when one of the two German girls got up at seven and switched the light on and started banging around the room. I asked them to open the curtains as there was enough natural light for them to see their things without disturbing me. And if they needed to check out their bags they could drag them into the hallway, like lots of people do.(The previous day two girls left early and no one in the room heard a thing when they got up and went!! so it can be done) they were not happy at being asked to do this. I then pointed out how considerate I had been the previous night and they apologised,albeit begrudgingly. Eventually I just left them to it and went down to the kitchen for a coffee. But I have to say in all the months that I have been travelling this is one of the very few incidents where I have had problems with people in the dorm. Which is very good really!and it will not stop me being considerate in the future, as most people who use YHAs are very considerate and it works well.

1 comment:

Sammie.Xx said...

Knicker shopping? Nice! tee hee. love you lots! xx xx