Sunday, July 6, 2008

CAMPERVAN.

I spent a nice day alone in Te Anau, just walking and reading. I then got a message from Jason and Stephanie (whom I met on the Doubtful sound tour) saying that they would pick me up in Queenstown the next day and I could stay the night with them in their six birth campervan,then they would give me a lift to Wanaka the next day. I was excited about the prospect of a night in the campervan as I had seen so many travellers with them and wondered what it would be like.
My bus was late getting into Queenstown and it was freezing but Stephanie and Jason were there to greet me and take me up to the five star campervan campsite.
Jason (who it transpires comes from Mayfield, which is not far from where I live in Kent) cooked a lovely meal and we watched the tv in their van and had a good chat before settling down for the night.
The campervan was very specious and cosy.

The next day we drove to Wanaka through some lovely countryside. We had lunch at a little cafe on the lakeside called Relish (That is also the name of the cafe where Sammie worked through her schooldays in Tunbridge Wells)
One thing that I have been missing on my trip is a good soak in a bath. So I was particularly pleased when I came across a beauty place called 'Soak'. And for a few dollars they fill the baths up with warm water and you can just chill in the water for as long as you like. So Stephanie and I booked into one of the rooms with two baths and Jason kindly waited for us to have a fabulous soak and a natter.(They even let us bring in our own wine!!)
Afterwards I checked into the YHA and they went off to their campsite.
Before I arrived in Wanaka everyone had been telling me about the little cinema 'Paradiso' that bakes cookies during the film, and they sell them during the interval. So I was intrigued and wanted to find it. I met up with Jason and Stephanie and we went along to see the new Indiana Jones film. It was a quirky place. There was a massive sheep on the roof!...don't ask me why.
And inside there was a selection of old sofas to sit on and enjoy the film. You could also take food and drink in. I presume it was trying to create a similar atmosphere as to the one you get if you watch a film at home on your sofa. THE COOKIES WERE DELICIOUS!! I had a white chocolate and ginger one!! yum yum!!
Afterwards we went and sat by the outside fire at the nearby cocktail bar and had a nightcap. Then I said my goodbyes to Stephanie and Jason who were leaving the next day. I was staying on in Wanaka another couple of nights, hopefully to do some skiing and to meet up with Rachel again.

1 comment:

Paddyrick said...

Nice campervan. Is it a Apollo? When we were in New Zealand we hired a Kiwi Cameper 6 Berth. It was cool! Campervans are a great way to see New Zealand. Where did you book your campervan. We got ours on a site called Find A Camper http://www.findacamper.co.nz You guys will have an awesome time I'm sure.