Thursday, May 22, 2008

AUCKLAND

The plane from Sydney to Auckland was delayed so I eventually got to the YHA in Auckland around eight O clock at night on wedesday. I felt quite nervous about venturing into another country as I had got quite used the ways in Australia. On the plane , despite it being in the afternoon we were given breakfast. This was because they had swapped our original plane for another one that was all geared up for serving breakfast.They did say that it needed to be served as it was not good for it to sit around in the storage cartons..I should have let the alarm bells ring then!!! but I did not and proceeded to tuck into a breakfast with very dodgy looking sausages. Later that night and the next morning I spent a long time on the loo!!! and my tummy was not too good.I should have gone without the breakfast!! It is rediculous that I travel all around south east Asia and Australia without any stomach problems and the minute I fly to New Zealand I get my first tummy upset.
But I did not let it put me off exploring the city. I armed myself with plenty of water and a map and headed off for the Auckland Museum to learn all about the Maori culture.
It is the most amazing museum I have been to, there was so much to see and I got the opportunity to see a performance of the famouse HAKA.
Afterwards I visited the winter gardens and saw an amazing collection of ferns.(You lucky thing ! I hear you cry) They thrive in the climate of New Zealand, and they were very beautiful! Then I walked down to the art gallery. The main one was closed, but I went to see the latest exhibition in the new Auckland gallery before wandering down to the ferry terminal, where the views over the harbour were beautiful.
I am looking forward to getting a ferry out to the volcanic island in the Bay.

I wandered around for a while just soaking in the atmosphere, then I went to this great bar called MINUS 5.
It is all made completely from ice. I had to don some very warm clothing before I entered ,including TWO pairs of gloves!. I had a vodka cocktail served in an ice glass.(They warn you to hold onto it with two hands because people keep forgetting and let their drinks slip out of their hands because the glass is made of ice.) I was only allowed to stay in there around half an hour because it is so cold. It was a fun experience. I met a Scottish couple from Glasgow inside and we got chatting and afterwards we went for a Mexican meal together. They gave me some tips about places to visit in Auckland. That is the great thing about travelling ,other people on the road are only too eager to pass on their experiences. Most times I have taken people's advice I have found some great places I would not otherwise have explored.

1 comment:

Liz Trumper said...

Hi Siobhan

You won't know who I am but I have just been looking through your gap year blog, at least the bits in Australia and NZ.They really cheered me up because there were photos of my daughter with you on the bus and your photos and commentary really brought her trip to life. I also understand you are going to be travelling with her for a couple of weeks in NZ. Her name is Rachel Trumper and she has been telling me about you, which is why I looked you up and found your blog. She tells me we are a bit alike (we both seem to like a glass of wine) and I think she likes the idea of having a mother figure for a bit when she is so far away.

Anyway, enjoy your travels and I will keep checking the blog to see how you are both getting on. It's an amazing thing you're doing and it must be great getting away from the rat race. Rachel says you have family in Vancouver and I have just been there for a holiday (as well as Alaska and the Rockies). You are also not too far from me in England, I live just outside Lewes, so maybe we could meet up when you both get back, if you and Rachel are still talking to each other after your trip.

Keep having fun

Liz Trumper