Monday, February 18, 2008

LUANG PRABANG

Sandwiched between Thailand and Vietnam ,Laos is a little bit if paradise! Although it is famous for being the most bombed country in the world it maintains an air of calm that makes you unwind.
It has only been open to tourists for a short time and that is one if its beauties. I stayed in Luang Prabang ,which is a really lovely place along the Mekong river, for a week. It is still not too touristy and it is not overrun by traffic, so it is easy to unwind and take a step back from the hustle and bustle of life on the road.

The locals are such nice and friendly people and

(Sorry liz I know you do not like the photos at this angle!)


particularly loved their night market. Every night they put up their stalls along the roads which are closed to traffic. They are such nice and friendly people.
I tried out some of the local food with a group of people I had met on the Mekong river trip and a fantastic 75 year old German lady who was travelling on her own to Laos for the 4th time.

I climbed to the top of a hill at the centre of Luang Prabang to check out the temples and Buddha's footprint....yes really there was a massive footprint in a cave and they are convinced it was made by Buddha, but I have to say I was not as convinced.But I was glad I did the climb because the views across the valley were beautiful.



I also enjoyed chatting to the local monks who are eager to improve their English.




And of course after the decent I needed to chill out by the edge of the Mekong with a glass of wine and a book.



It was good to stop rushing around for a while and just to take stock of where I had already been and what I had achieved so far on my trip.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's good to hear from you again. I was begining to get a little worried! Sounds like you're having a great time.

Love you loads, Nell :) XX

Sheilaabroad said...

Did you read any of the book or is it just for the photos?

Sounds lovely and just what I could do with at the moment.

Thinking of you lots!

Take care

Love Sheila xxx

Paddy and Lorraine Daniels said...

And the contrast with the dreadful train journey makes this all the sweeter, Simple things like a glass of wine and talking to a monk are better for the contrast.

The sweet is not so sweet without the sour.

Love

paddy & Lorraine XXX