Thursday, January 10, 2008

THE TEMPLES OF ANGKOR WAT

Got up really early to have breakfast and meet the Tuk tuk driver who had offered to be our guide for the day around the temples for a couple of pounds.We thought we were early at half seven, but when we got to Angkor Wat there was a stream of people coming out who had got up at five to go and see the sunrise. And I bumped into the two Australian girls, Emma and Katherine, who I went to the killing fields with in Phnom Penh. And it turns out that Lucas is friends with Katherines brother.





it really is a small world. We arranged to meet up later that night for dinner. Lucas and I had the most amazing day, going to Angkor Wat, Wat Thom, Byphon and many more temples. It is impossible to put into words the impact they had on us both. We just kept saying Wow! and we just could not believe that we were able to have such access to these historic temples.






People ,including us were just clambering all over them. I have to say I surprised myself at how many really steep narrow steps I climbed. I was so pathetic getting down though. Gripping on so tightly and taking ages to take one step down. Lucas was so patient. But there was one temple where I eventually drew the line and let him schale it himself.



When he came down he admitted that it had been very difficult.He said the stone steps were so hot in the blistering sun that it was very difficult to hold on at times. I would have just panicked. I am glad I listened to the little voice in my head that said "don't be blummin stupid, you will never get up that one!!!!!"

No comments: