Wednesday, January 9, 2008

'SEEING HANDS MASSAGE'

Before I left Phnom Penh I went to a charity run place for the blind to get a massage. It is called 'Seeing Hands Massage' , and basically a group of blind people have been taught how to do massages and they run a place where you can have a massage for a few pounds and the money goes to charity and they are able to earn a living. I was a bit nervous. And I only added to that when I was shown into a room with five other people already on beds having a massage. I had to change into a tunic and trousers and lay on the table.The blind man then covered me with a thin sheet which he used to navigate his way around my body. All my trepidations soon went away and I was glad that I had gone and supported the charity.
I then got the bus to Siem Reap to see the temples of Angkor Wat, one of the wonders of the world.
The bus took seven hours and we had a few stops. Unlike the service stations back home,the food on offer for snacks was more traditional...cockroaches, spiders and beetles!!




needless to say I bought a bottle of water and hopped back onto the bus!
I made friends with a lovely Australian guy called Lucas. We shared a taxi and booked into the same guesthouse. My room was only eight dollars. They were carrying out building work on the other part of the place, but I was happy with the room and did not mind a cold shower. Even though we were both really tired from the bus trip,we headed off for the temples, as we had been told the sunset was great. And we scrabbled to the top of a hill and then an actual temple , along with hundreds of other peole to get the best vantage point for the sunset(you would never be able to do that at home the health and safety people would ,quite rightly have it all cordoned off!). I am really afraid of heights, but I ran up the steep steps like a billy goat on a hill(all beit a rather fat one!) because I did not want to miss out.And the experience was worth it. Everyone spntaneously applauded when the sun went down. And it was one of those feel good factor moments.





Went to be early to prepare for a long day clambering all over one of the wonders of the world. Angkor was the capital of Cambodia's ancient Khamer empire.The temples are a point of pilgrimage for all Cambodians and they are spread over a vast area.It takes days to see them all.So we are heading for the main ones.

No comments: