Thursday, December 6, 2007

'KRABI'

Ok I ended my last blog by saying that I was not being scammed. The Grand Palace was definately closed! Well yes you have guessed it. I fell for the scam! Until someone reliably informed me that the Grand Palace and temples were OPEN. They only shut on the day of the king's birthday. SoI hailed a Tuk Tuk and it made its way at breakneck speed to the tourist attractions for me. I really had to hold on tight as he laughed the more he saw my fearful face in his rear view mirror. He weaved his way through traffic, through gaps that I was convinced were impossible for us to fit through. And it was touch and go at times. It was very exciting now that I am still in once piece. I would not have missed it for the world.
When I got inside they made me hire garments to cover myself up properly.I thought my trousers would be long enough. But seems they are an inch too short. Will have to take a sarong with me at all times in future to make an instant skirt.




The palace was getting its finishing touches for the king's birthday the next day.So I was lucky to see it at it's very best.




Amid all this there were ordinary people worshipping at the buddhist temples. I found it facinating to watch.
I spent the kings birthday lounghing by the pool after seeing the millions of people in a sea of yellow on the streets. There really was not an inch to spare. They love their king and it was a very special day for the whole country. He is the grand old age of 80 and he has not been too well recently.
Today got a cheap flight(27 pounds) to the island of Krabi. Have booked into a little room in a guest house for 8 pounds.





It is amazing how cheap the life is here. This is a step down form the Holiday Inn in Bangkok, but more the sort of experience I am looking for. I went for a walk down by the river earlier and I am going for a massage soon. I am ready for it after lugging the rucksac on and off buses. I had to pay excess luggage at the airport so that tells me it really does need trimming down. But I just cannot decide what to leave. I thought I had been pretty good with my packing. We will see.
Tomorrow I plan to get a local bus to one of the islands beautiful beaches and then the day after that I have booked a long boat trip to the smaller islands. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the messages and emails. It is great to log into them.
I am not putting photo's on this entry again as the connection here keeps cutting out and it will take ages to upload the pictures. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it!! (EDIT..THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE VERY ASTUTE WILL SEE I HAVE FINALLY WORKED OUT HOW TO PUT PHOTOS ON SITE.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was at Fiona's this morning and she showed me your blog so I have bookmarked it and will follow your trip with interest.
We met at Adrienne's and Brian. I don't know if you remember.
Anyway have a marvellous year.