Monday, September 8, 2008

FIJI.( MELBRAVO RESORT)

When I arrived at Nadi airport on the island of 'Viti Lavu',in Fiji, I was excited and nervous.There were lots of people to greet arrivals at the airport, to try and persuade them to stay at their hotels. Luckily I had been warned,so I was adamant that I would not be bullied into getting into a taxi before I had checked out the places to stay for myself. But it was very very hot and I was tired! Eventually I decided on a beachside hostel which did free transfers from the airport.It was called the "Travellers Beach Resort".


I got there in the morning and thankfully it was nice and I felt safe. The staff helped me to work out what islands I wanted to visit in the month I was due to stay in Fiji, and how to get the best deal.I decided that I would stay on two remote islands for eleven days each(I got a good discount if I stayed over ten nights)then one night on Bounty(Where celebrity Love Island was filmed),then five nights in a more upmarket resort in the Mamanucas islands. Before returning to Nadi for a night, before my flight to Canada.
After I booked it all The Travellers Beachs resort taxi driver gave me a lift back into Nadi to get cash, because the islands I planned to visit were very remote and they did not have cash machines and they did not take credit cards, so unfortunately I would have to take more money than I usually take with me.
That night there was a special free dance show on the beach in front of the resort.It was incredible,they danced with knives and fire and the men had the most gorgeous bodies.

What a way to start my month long trip to Fiji!
The next day I got up early and took the bus to the port and boarded the big yellow boat that was to transfer me to Nacula island in the Yasawa group of Islands. It took four and a half hours to get there.But only ten minutes out of Nadi the sea was a beautiful bluey green and the little islands we passed were beautiful.
The weather was very hot, so I sat out on deck for the whole trip. It is very well organised, everyone books onto an island, then takes the yellow boat.This then stops near various islands and each resort sends a smaller boat to rendevous with the Yellow boat. They drop off passengers who are leaving their resort and pick up the new guests to take them back to their resort. It is remarkable the way it runs so smoothly. And everyone and their luggage seems to get to their desired destination without any trouble.
I boarded my little transfer boat with two other people to Nacula Island.
We got a very friendly greeting from the locals who waded out in the low tide to meet the transfer boat. They carried my luggage and escourted us into a large hut. We were given lunch then shown to our rooms. I had booked the cheap dorm rate.But I was thrilled to learn that they were rebuilding their dorm so I was upgraded to a Bure !! right next to the sea.
It was perfect,It made me cry I was so happy.I could not have asked for anything more!!And I had only paid 40 Fiji dollars a day for three meals and my room(about 13 pounds a day!!)
There was a fantastic view from my bedroom window
I loved my time at Melbravo Resort. Everyone was very friendly and I met some fantastic people, including two Dutch guys and a Canadian who christened me their travel mummy!
They were really good to hang out with and go snorkelling with.
All new visitors to the resort have to go to the main village and meet the chief
oh and hand over five dollars!! which was quite funny .Everyone was joking about marrying me off to the chief !!! we spent lots of nights playing spoons! It was great fun.Basically it is like musical chairs but with playing cards and spoons , and one has to grab a spoon when someone gets four cards of a kind.




It was hilarious watching just how much grown people would fight each other to make sure they got a spoon!!!


One night the locals did a Traditional Lovo meal for us. That is where they cook the food with hot stones underground.It is wrapped in bannana leaves.It was very tasty.

On Sunday I went to the local village One world church to see the singing and worship.It was amazing to hear the harmonies and they were so welcoming.
Most evenings the local men gathered to drink KAVA a narcotic concoction that looks like muddy water.It is good fun to join in all the clapping and drinking that goes with the event.I only got a numb tongue and felt sleepy.But they seemed to be effected by it.
I went for a visit to the 'Blue Lagoon' on Nanuya Lailai,where the snorkelling was fantastic.
The water was so clear you could see the fish without snorkelling.
The Coral was so colourful and I have never seen so many interesting fish so close up.
MORE ABOUT MY TIME AT MELBRAVO AND FIJI TO FOLLOW

No comments: