Saturday, January 19, 2008

THAI COOKERY COURSE

I decided to spend some time in chang Mai after the heat and hustle of Bangkok. The guest house I stayed in on the first night was horrible. I was over the entertainers, which had I not been so tired would have been hilarious to listen to. They were two Thai guys who were singing cover versions of English songs with a thick Thai accent!!! and they just managed to miss the notes.I am sure Peter Kay would have made a hilarious sketch out of their act. But I was very tired and wanted to sleep. I went down to see if I could move rooms but they said it would finish soon so I stayed put,but at midnight they were still bashing out their tunes. The room I was in was filthy and poky. So I decided I was going to ask for my money back for the next night and find somewhere else to stay.
So At eight the next morning I was at the front desk with my rucksac on my back saying that I did not like the room and wanted to move and could I have my money back. I did not expect them to give it to me to be honest, but to my surpise and delight they just handed it over and off I went. I found the Chang Mai hotel with a swimming pool and fantastic room for less than three pounds more.
I then booked onto a Thai cookery course for the next day.
The course started with a trip to the local market in the morning to check out the ingredients.



The chef explained what all the herbs and spices were and how they are used in Thai cookery. He even told us what we could buy in England if the ingredients we saw there were not available to buy.


He showed us the difference between good and bad rice (The longer the grain the better the rice). So now being experts on what ingredients to buy we headed for the classroom. There were eleven in our class and we all had our own cooking stations.


As you can see I paid attention to everthing the teacher said. I loved the cooking but do not think I am a natural.We had little people who came and gave us the ingredients we needed for each dish and cleared away the dirty plates for us. And I have to say that is my kind of cooking, having someone to do all the fetching and carrying for me.And the washing up.

We cooked spicey soup, Pad Thai (noodle dish), Green Curry. He told us that Green Curry was hotter than the red curry. (all this time I thought that red must be hotter and I have been getting the green curry.)We cooked crispy spring rolls and finally Sweet Rice and mango. Then we all sat down to taste the fruits of our labours. There was too much to eat, but it tasted great. We got a cookery book and a certificate. I had a great day! And when I get back to England at the end of the year I will be cooking Thai for everyone.


I know the picture above looks like car crash cooking! We had to add an egg to the wok but keep the other ingredients away from it with a massive metal spoon,but mine got all jumbled up and looked a bit of a mess. But it tasted good!! and practice makes perfect! Rome wasn't built in a day!!

No comments: